Is a summer storm approaching? If so, here’s a checklist with some things to do when you hear that bad weather is headed your way:
- Fill cars with gas. If power goes out for a few days, you may not be able to fill up.
- Go grocery shopping for essentials: bread, fruit
- Have some cash on hand.
- Charge all devices – cell phone, laptops, iPads.
- Secure or put away yard items.
- Eat food in fridge and freezer, in case the power goes off.
- Set up your pool pump or sump pump to handle excess water.
- Board up windows, if severe.
- Check gutters and downspouts to confirm they are working.
If weather is expected to be severe and widespread, consider leaving the area. We went to Niagara Falls to ride out Hurricane Irene. We had two young children and a roof that popped a leak two days before the storm. We covered the roof with a tarp, packed up our things, and left town. It was nice not to have to worry about the storm, which impacted most New England states.
Start planning today, so that your household will be prepared for a summer storm.
You may also like to ready the following articles: