As part of your spring cleaning, you should clean out your kitchen cabinets and pantry. I try to do mine this week, so that my donations are ready for the “Stamp Out Hunger” food drive on Saturday, May 11, 2013.
Tips on Cleaning Out Your Cabinets/Pantry:
- Take one shelf at a time.
- Toss any items that have expired.
- Donate non-perishable items you may not use or just over-purchased
- Incorporate remaining food on your Meal Planner to ensure it is used.
Stamp Out Hunger – How does it work?
On the second Saturday in May, the National Association of Letter Carriers holds a national food drive called “Stamp Out Hunger.”
Interested in donating? Just leave your non-perishable items in a bag at your mailbox on Saturday, May 11, 2013. Your letter carrier will pick it up and deliver it to a food bank, soup kitchen or shelter. Isn’t this great? It’s a way to donate to those in need, and have your donations picked up at your mailbox.
Examples of non-perishable items include:
- Peanut butter
- Canned soup
- Canned meats and fish
- Canned vegetables, fruits and juices
- Boxed goods (such as cereal)
- Pasta and rice
For more information about the annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive, ask your letter carrier, contact your local post office or visit www.helpstampouthunger.com
Need more tips on meal preparation? Check out our articles on: